Monday, April 14, 2014

Leave some things out.   While this may sound contrary to the very idea of descriptive writing, it isn't.  It's actually a good thing.   It's the one-size-fits-all gift for your readers for a couple of reasons.  Let me explain.  
First of all, your readers are amazing creatures.  They have imaginations.  They embrace words and paint mental pictures in their minds...each in their own way.   
What a concept. 
As an avid reader, I'll borrow from that classic 1934 Cole Porter tune when I say please...don't fence me in.  Leave some gaps that I can fill in for myself.  Not only does it give me a little ownership of the story, it gives my [over] active imagination a nice little workout. 

Another reason for leaving spaces for the reader is that it moves the story along.  Don't drag me down with endless details (especially if they have no critical bearing on the story) because if you make reading too much like work, I'll put the book down and go do some actual work.  The weather is nice and my lawn could use a good thatching.  Better to paint a general picture and then spoon feed the reader throughout the story with great literary devices like dialogue, emotion, and your character's choices.  Doing it that way allows them to form their own mental picture (and opinions) of your characters.  They like that.  It keeps them engaged in the story, which is the best part of all.  The lawn can wait.   

No comments:

Post a Comment