Tuesday, April 29, 2014

You can do it.  This is my reply to those people who tell me they want to write a book but for some reason they don't think they can.  Nonsense.  If you have a story to tell...TELL IT.  Learn the rules of writing, many of which I've discussed over the course of the month, and then get to it.  Don't complain that you don't have the time to write.  Don't cop out by saying you don't have a good place to write.  If you really want to write...REALLY believe in yourself and your story...you'll find a way.  Some time ago I came across this message and I immediately posted it on my Facebook page: "Good things come to those who work their asses off and never give up."  That was shortly after I learned that a small indie press had picked up my mid-grade novel.  If it can happen for me it can happen for you.  So do it.  Do it a lot.  Do it even more, because the more you write the better you get.  The more you share your work, accept corrective input and network with others, the better you get.  The more you refuse to accept mundane characters, droll dialogue and flat situations...you guessed it...the better you get. 
And if you happen to change a single life...inspire a single reader or writer...you've reached the top of the mountain.  Think of this Bill Murray quote from the end of the movie Scrooged, where he addresses the world in the middle of the Christmas Special:
"It can happen every day! You've just got to want that feeling.  You'll want it every day.  It can happen to you!"

So stop telling yourself you can't and start the journey.  You CAN do it!  

1 comment:

  1. yes, yes you can...I love that movie...well done reaching the end. Cudos.

    ReplyDelete